Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year!

What a joy to welcome in 2008 with my husband, brother and sister-in-law at the First Night Akron celebration! Even though this event has been going on every New Year's Eve for the past twelve years, this was my first time attending it, but it will not be my last.

After a great dinner at the Otani Japanese Restaurant in the Merriman valley, we went downtown to explore a virtual smorgasbord of entertainment, all for the cost of our $10 button; even the parking and bus ride around town was included. My personal favorite was the Magical Theatre Company’s presentation of Bunnicula at the Akron Library. The comments of the little 3 or 4 year old sitting behind me during the play were as entertaining as the performance. There was certainly something for everyone from toddler to senior citizen at this celebration. My husband’s favorite was the harmony of the Akron Derbytown Barbershop Chorus at St. Bernard Church, and we all enjoyed the great rhythms of the University of Akron’s Steel Drum band.

We kept warm jumping around to the beat of “Cats on Holiday” as the New Year approached and welcomed in 2008 with a bang, blaze of colors, and the rockin’ sound of music from Akron’s WKDD radio. I had a great New Year’s Eve and didn’t even touch a drop of alcohol. It was enough of a high to celebrate with our community and look through the free 3D glasses at the kaleidoscope of color that emanated from the fireworks. I never realized that you could get such a psychedelic effect that way. If you have never attended First Night Akron, you might want to give it a try next year. I plan to make it an annual event.

Now that the holiday is over, I am resolving to be more organized and stay in shape. I make these resolutions at the start of every year, but I never keep them to my satisfaction. I also am making a new commitment to citizenship this year. I've posted my political resolutions on the Cosmic Message Blog.

Happy 2008 to all!

4 comments:

Shelby said...

Hi Cee Jay, Happy New Year! I went to First Night Boston (for the first time in eight years) and concur that it was well worth it.

Cee Jay said...

Happy New Year, Shelby! I love Boston! I would like to take in that celebration sometime. From what I understand, Boston was the first city to have a First Night celebration.

Comrade Kevin said...

Happy New Year, Cee Jay! I've missed you, friend. :-)

I didn't drink either, and I simply CAN'T with these new meds I'm taking. As such, I stayed in this year because everyone who wanted to go out also wanted to drink and I didn't want to be the only one not indulging.

Cee Jay said...

Hi Kevin,
I've missed you too! I hope to blog a bit more in the new year. I just got a bit down with all the politics and the economic conditions. I don't think I've ever been so pessimistic. I've been playing with my grand-dogs, doggy sitting them while the kids are off traveling.
I was surprised at how fun New Years Eve can be even without the alcohol. I quite a few people from our UU Congregation at the First Night festivities. :)
Have a great 2008!