Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sex Education for Five Year Olds

I just had to laugh at the conversation between Bill O'Rielly and Rev. Haffner. I remembered my conversations with our son at age five when I was pregnant with his sister. We had explained of course that his sibling was growing in mommy's tummy and let him feel the baby kick. I should have used the word uterus because the conversation went like this:

Jon: How's the baby gonna get out? Are you gonna puke it up?
Mom: The doctor's going to take it out in the hospital.
Jon: Oh ...
Jon: So how did it get in there? Did you swallow it?
Mom: It's really hard to explain ummm. Maybe your dad can explain it better.

This bought me some time. It was a couple of days before he started asking the questions again when his dad was home. By this time we were better prepared. A really curious five year old has a lot of questions, and you can't put them off forever. I guess O'Rielly hasn't been around many curious five year olds interested in how things work. I had gotten pretty good at answering questions by the time our daughter started asking them and her older brother was more than happy to give her the benefit of all he had learned about the process. Guess the five year olds in O'Rielly's life didn't have older siblings and playmates willing to share information and misinformation about sex with his kids. Some of the misinformation and information they got from their friends and brought home was truly amazing.

2 comments:

Comrade Kevin said...

I am glad that my parents told me about sex at a young age. I was an unusually precocious child and by age 8 I knew about 80% of what I know now.

I'm glad they didn't chicken out as did the parents of some of my peers--who instead of "the talk" received a copies of books with such titles as What's Happening to my Body?

My father resorted to the tried and true method: talking about the birds and the bees on long car trips. The information he provided was 100% accurate and gave me a leg up on the sort of misinformation that routinely circulated around school, particularly on the playground.

Anonymous said...

I thought Bill O'Rielly was a five year old.

Some of my friends have pre-schoolers who are smarter than this windbag. :)

Peace,
Cosmic